Pages

Monday, July 4, 2011

The women behind the famousTurkish Jewelery?

 Lately we saw the Trukish Jewelery became as trend , but have you ever see the women behind that?? sure , no but you will have the chance to the exciting and original designer, Boticca chats with Pinar to understand more about how she brings these wonderful creations to life.

So Pinar, can you tell us a little about yourself?
I was born in Pennsylvania in the US but my family and I moved to Istanbul when I was a kid and my homeland has been Istanbul since then. I really admire this city and its rich cosmopolite culture. I would say the city alone defines my background; urban, modern, colorful and energetic.
 Your designs are so colorful and unique. How do you get your inspiration?
Arts and Crafts have always been a part of me; I worked with clay in my mother’s ceramic workshop doing statues and decorative wall pieces when I was a child. I love sketching and painting so used this talent during the time I worked as an architect. When I discovered the world of metalsmithing, I combined my knowledge of arts and so my journey as a jewelry designer began. I started taking lessons in Istanbul from a master jewelry maker and I still take lessons when I can all around the world to learn new techniques.

Could you describe your design process a bit?
There are two ways I approach preparing for my new designs. It is either freestyle, where I just start making with no set idea of what it will turn into from the start. I choose the stones, mixing and matching them according to their size, cut and colors. The other way is to be very planned, so sketching and drawing at first then laying out a plan with measurements etc. But I always have at least 6 or 7 projects going on at the same time.


What is your favorite piece you’ve created and why?
Big pieces are my favorites. One of my favorite pieces are the Angelina style earrings I made with green jade Stones and the necklace I prepared with amethyst, quartz and grey labradorite Stones. I also love the labradorite set I made with different sizes of oval cut labradorites.

You told us once that you often go ‘stone hunting’ in the Grand Bazaar. Can you tell us more about that?
Natural Gemstones fascinate me, the fact that each stone has it’s own spark. I spend hours mixing and matching these stones, thinking of new designs to make. I love to go shopping for stones, I buy them from all over the world but I find the most amazing ones near the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul.Read More!

0 comments:

Post a Comment